Nonrefundable Application Fee: $50
Meal plan: $100
WHERE & WHEN TO REPORT: Monday, June 19th
Overnight Campers: Report to Centennial Place for check-in at 8:00am. After you check-in you will need to go to the Music Building for your placement audition.
Day Campers: Registration for day campers will begin at 8:00am in the lobby of the Psychology Auditorium (3710 Veterans Avenue, Memphis, TN, 38152). Please park in the Central Parking lot and walk on to campus. We will have signs leading the way.
All campers must report to the lobby of the Communication and Fine Arts Building once they complete their audition. Once the auditions are completed, we will have a brief meeting to introduce the staff, review the drop-off and pick-up information for the week, review the camp rules, and talk through the schedule for the week.
Campers will have a placement audition beginning at 9am on Monday morning. The auditions are designed to place students in the appropriate ensemble according to skill level. There is NO required audition material. Students will be asked to play scales and a short sight-reading excerpt.
At registration, students will be asked to sign up for one of five electives. These electives are designed to provide basic exploration to enhance the experience at Memphis Music Camp. This year we are excited to provide courses in Art, Conducting, Improvisation, Piano, and Dance.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your instrument. Please label the case with your name
- A few sharpened pencils
- Wear informal, comfortable summer clothes for rehearsals & recreation. Please avoid clothing that could be considered offensive in any way.
- A raincoat or light jacket as needed (we’ll be walking to the student center for lunch; sometimes the rehearsal rooms are cool)
- A small amount of snacks are OK, but there are vending machines
- FOOD if you have not purchased a meal plan. You may also purchase meals at the University Center and Tiger Den in Jones Hall (approximately $8 each).
- If you are taking a private lesson, bring along music you are currently studying
- Percussionists: bring your sticks and mallets.
- Please bring the MEDICAL INFORMATION FORM, signed (on the last page)
- Twin Size bed linens, pillow and blanket or Sleeping Bag
- All Toiletry Items
- Bath Towel
- Alarm Clock
- Card and Board Games if desired
- If you wish to order pizza/Chinese food after the evening activities, bring money for this.
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- No skateboards, skates, or bicycles
- No stereos larger than an iPod, which you can only use on breaks.
- No valuable possessions. It’s safer for you and for us!
- Cell phones are allowed at camp, but may not be used during rehearsals or classes. Any phones used during rehearsals or classes will be confiscated by camp staff, and returned to the camper at the next break.
- The possession and use of drugs, tobacco and alcohol is forbidden at all times.
PARKING, DROP-OFF and PICK-UP
Day Camper drop-off and pick-up will be at the Central Parking Lot. Our counselors will meet and escort campers from the parking lot to the campus every morning and evening. On the map, the grid location of the parking lot is F2 and G2. Please drop off your campers between 7:45 - 8:15 each morning and be ready to pick them up by 8:00pm. The only exception is Friday evening after the concert.
Day campers eating breakfast at the Tiger Den must arrive at 7:45am to ensure enough time to eat.
If you are driving yourself, parking tags are available for $15 and can be purchased during registration.
CAMPER EARLY PICK-UP
Unless your child stays at camp each day until 8:00pm, he/she will be missing out on some of the fun activities (party, movies, skit night, etc.). We do understand, however, that this may not be possible. If you plan on picking up your camper at 5:00pm, please let us know on Monday during registration. It is VERY important that we are able to account for every student at ALL TIMES.
In the event that you need to pick up your camper at a time other than 5:00pm and 8:00pm (doctors appointment, emergency, etc.), please notify the Camp Director Albert Nguyen (pronounced “WIN”) at the numbers listed below.
901-678-2263 (Band office) or 901-289-0126 (cell)